Wednesday, May 29, 2013





The Art of Rest and Recovery


Hi 

After completing 3400+ miles on our cross country ride,  I thought it would be appropriate to offer some insight on rest and recovery.  They key factor is rest.  I have spent the last 5 days reclining on a polar bear skin rug in a temperature controlled room:





The only times that I move is to go to the bathroom and to receive my twice daily deep tissue massage.  Every morning I review the day's meal plan with my wife,  and then she is off to shop and cook for the remainder of the day.  She was shocked that I was gone for 5 weeks,  she finally realized I was missing when I called from Topeka.

Fluid replenishment is very important.  During the day I stay with our chocolate milkshake routine.  At night I prefer beer (only from microbreweries).

After a week you should start with mild exercise, such as walking to the jacuzzi.  Under no circumstances should you get involved with housework or other menial labor, it will ruin the recovery process.

Week 3 is the first week you should return to the bike.  The rides should be flat, if there is wind your wife needs to provide a draft with her SUV, van, or other large vehicle.

You should be ready to return to your regular routine in week 4, stronger than ever.  You will dominate your club rides.

Oh, by the way, if you have a job all bets are off.  If you need to return to work after this trip, you will never recover.

All the best.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment