Saturday, May 11, 2013


Shane Molloy's Letter to mom






Shane Molloy, 27, of Killybegs, Donegal, Ireland


Dear Mum

Happy U. S. Mothers Day!  I am still having a great time on my ride.  We just pedaled from Quincy Ill. to Springfield Ill, about 109 miles.  It was cold and damp with grey skies, it felt just like home.  Luckily, the route was flat and we had favorable winds for most of the day.  There wasn't a lot of good scenery, but we did have a few encounters with the local populace ( I believe they are referred to as"rednecks") driving large trucks.  I got the distinct feeling they were not amenable to sharing the road with cyclists, although I may be misinterpreting the horn honks and waving of the middle finger.  Some of these trucks had unusual flags in their rear windows.  After visiting the Abraham Lincoln Museum today, (our rest day) I realized that these flags indicated these drivers are merely history buffs with an affinity to the Southern U.S. of the 1860's.  

I find the riding group quite fascinating.  I am the second youngest, but you wouldn't know by my mates behavior.  It reminds me of one of my grammar school field trips.  They have terrible manners.  The ride leaders are constantly reminding them to wash their hands before eating, none of them listen.  I haven't heard so many fart jokes since I was 12, and they aren't even good.  And by golly, if I hear Dan tell another of his jokes about leprechauns fornicating in a bar, I think I will vomit.  This fellow Tom Stenovec thinks he is funny.  He is constantly calling me his "favorite Irish fish monger",  enough already.  And he is a bloody lazy rider, all he does is draft all day.  There he is in his typical place, on the wheel of Floris.  At least he had the good judgement not to hit on the Amish girls in the wagon, but he sure is giving them a look.

Horse on left, Horses' Ass on right
Riding through the midwest is a bit of a culture shock for me.   With the exception of the "rednecks" most of the people I meet are very friendly, especially the fellows in the NRA tee shirts.  And they sure drink a lot  of soda.  I have found a new meaning for "supersize",  she is filling that 2 liter container  with some concoction  called "Dew of the Mountain."  It does not sound very appetizing, don't they know about sheep?  

Guess who is lurking, have you no pride?

But the Irish know that you should drink from  properly sized containers:


They call this a Large Beer?  Poppycock!


Unfortunately, I lost my roommate Eric.  He really missed his wife and 2 young children,  so he left the tour to see them. I am sorry to see him go, he was a great guy, and I really enjoyed riding with him.  Hopefully he will rejoin us in 5 or 6 days.  The best part of having Eric around at night was that it helped me sleep.  After about 20 minutes of talk about obscure French philosophers and Chinese proverbs,  I would be out like a light.  I guess that's why I never suffered from jet lag when I came to the states.

The ride is going by quickly, we have already completed 3500K, only 2000k to go.  I am off to bed now.  I hope to hear from you soon.


Your Loving Son,  

Shane










No comments:

Post a Comment